Spiritual Preparation, Workshop 3: Hosea Ballou
In "What Moves Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Reflect on the following questions, looking for connections between your theology and Ballou's. You may wish to write your reflections in your theology journal.
- Do you agree that all human actions are motivated by the desire for happiness?
- Ballou wrote, "[There is] no such thing as disinterested benevolence." Do you agree?
- What are the messages you have received or currently receive about the human right to happiness? Is this a counter-cultural notion?
- Ballou considered human happiness a God-given right. What is your own attitude toward human happiness? Does your attitude have a connection to your liberal faith? If so, what is it? If not, why not?
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, February 19, 2013.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources
- Entire Program
- Entire Program (Paper-Saving Version)