Opening (5 minutes), Workshop 9: Come To Us: Closing and Continuing On
In "Spirit of Life," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Altar or centering table
- Cloth for covering altar or centering table
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Handout 1, Come to Us
- Copies of the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, Singing the Living Tradition
- Optional: Small votive candle in holder
- Optional: Taper candle in candlestick
- Optional: A recording of "Spirit of Life" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants.
- Prepare the altar or centering table with the cloth you have brought, a chalice and candle, a votive candle, a taper candle, and matches or a lighter. If you are using an LED battery-operated candle, place it in the chalice.
- Gather copies of Singing the Living Tradition, enough for all participants. Obtain large print and/or braille copies for participants who need them.
- Optional: Light the votive candle in advance and place the taper nearby so that chalice lighter can use the taper to carry the flame to the chalice.
- Optional: Arrange for musical accompaniment or set up music player.
Description of Activity
Welcome the group with these or similar words:
Welcome one final time to Spirit of Life. Today we celebrate the time we have spent together and the continuation of our spiritual journeys. Our faith is held together not by common creeds but by covenantal deeds. We are interdependent and we offer one another our mutual trust and support. Together so much more is possible. I'm so glad you are here!
Invite a participant to light the chalice, inviting them to wait to kindle the flame until the conclusion of the reading.
Distribute Handout 1. Indicate the unison chalice-lighting words and lead the group in saying them aloud. Invite participants to take turns so that each participant reads aloud one sentence of the reading. Say that it is fine for a participant to pass if they do not wish to read.
After participants finish the reading, the volunteer kindles the flame.
Invite participants to read silently along with you as you read aloud the Unitarian Universalist Principle and Source that this workshop highlights.
Begin name sharing with these or similar words:
Please speak your name into the gathering. As we listen to one another's names, let us hold one another in gratitude. In doing so, may we create a common spirit of generosity and community.
Invite participants to take turns saying their names clearly.
Invite participants to rise in body or spirit and sing "Spirit of Life" by Carolyn McDade, Hymn 123 in Singing the Living Tradition.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources
- List of Stories