Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Body Movements for Spirit of Life
- Stones, preferably smooth ones
- A bowl to hold all the stones
- Altar or centering table
- Cloth for covering altar or centering table
- Chalice and candle or LED battery-operated candle
- Chalice extinguisher
- Copies of the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook Singing the Living Tradition
- Taking It Home section for this workshop
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Review "Spirit of Life," Hymn 123 in Singing the Living Tradition, to make sure you are comfortable leading the song.
- Review Leader Resource 1 and practice the body movements recommended to accompany "Spirit of Life" (or, choose your own movements to teach the group).
- Review Taking It Home and decide which extension activities you will encourage participants to do.
- Copies of Taking It Home for all participants.
Description of Activity
Add the bowl of stones to the altar or centering table. Gather participants around the table. Affirm the good work that participants have done in this workshop.
As we prepare to leave this space, I invite you to select a stone from the common bowl. If you like, you may name some ways this series has been a stepping stone on your spiritual path. Or, you may select a stone in silence.
After participants have each taken a stone, and have spoken if they wish to, you may offer your thanks and blessings with these words, or your own:
Thank you so much for your attentive listening, open sharing, and creative expression throughout this workshop. My deep wish is that our congregation can be for you a place to continue to grow, and a place where you will encourage growth in others.
Blessings for your journeys!
Invite the group to join in singing "Spirit of Life," with body movements as participants are willing and able. Before leading the song, demonstrate the body movements described in Leader Resource 1.
Lead the song slowly so participants can follow your movements. Sing the song twice, with the movements. If the group seems to be learning the movements well, invite them to repeat the movements in the quiet without singing the song.
Ask participants to form a circle, join hands, and move toward the altar or centering table. Extinguish the chalice together. Close with these words:
This is only the beginning.
Including All Participants
Be sure to adapt body movements to "Spirit of Life" to suit the needs of members of your group. Invite participants to participate in the "Spirit of Life" body movements as suits their willingness and ability.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.