Activity 2: Guilty of Innovation - Francis David
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it or read it aloud.
Description of Activity
Read or tell the Francis David story. Then, lead a discussion with these questions:
- In what different ways did people exercise leadership in 16th century Transylvania? What kind of power and authority did King John Sigismund have? Giorgio Biandrata? Francis David?
- At what points was David speaking from a position of mattering?
- When was he marginalized?
- What were the primary concerns of Biandrata? David? To what end did Biandrata exercise his leadership skill? To what end did David exercise his?
- What were the outcomes-short- and long-term-when the leadership system moved from protecting voices of dissent and disagreement to marginalizing and suppressing those voices?
- Does this story from the Unitarian side of our tradition offer any insight about how leaders today deal with voices on the margins, especially when they threaten institutional stability?