You Are Here
Activity 1: Rosa Parks' Moment
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, Rosa Parks' Moment
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with the story.
- Pre-arrange for a participant to read the story.
Description of Activity
Share the introductory material for the story and invite participants to consider the ways Rosa Parks modeled leadership with integrity. Have a participant read the story aloud to the group.
Engage participants in a discussion with these questions:
- How does this story differ from the popular story about Rosa Parks? Does knowing she was prepared for this moment and this action change your perception of her as a leader?
- What skills did Rosa Parks need in order to act in this situation? What personal qualities did she have that made her action effective?
- What spiritual and emotional support might she have drawn on to withstand enormous pressure?