You Are Here
Alternate Activity 1: Juggling Act
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Items to juggle safely
Preparation for Activity
- Write the three questions below on newsprint, and post.
Description of Activity
This is an activity for facilitators who are also jugglers! Alternatively, recruit a juggler to help you with this activity.
While juggling, tell participants that congregational leaders are like jugglers trying to keep all the balls in the air. Perform whatever juggling tricks you have. Embellish the analogy to congregational life as much as possible. Invite participants to assign specific task responsibilities to each item you have in the air. Have fun!
While juggling, or after you have finished, indicate the three questions on newsprint and ask:
1. When you keep all the balls in the air, how do you feel physically? Mentally?
2. When you drop important balls, how do you feel physically? Mentally?
3. Are all these balls yours to juggle or are you juggling someone else's balls?
Ask participants to keep these questions in mind as they go about their work as leaders. Ask them to share their observations the next time the group meets.