Activity 3: What Leadership Is and Isn't
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of Leader Resource 1, What Leadership Is and Is Not
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- What Leadership Is and Isn't and computer with Internet access
- Copies of Handout 2, First UU Anytown Scenario for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Watch What Leadership Is and Isn't, a 19-minute presentation by Gil Rendle from UU University 2007. NOTE: If you have the capability and the time to show the group this online presentation, you may prefer to use Alternate Activity 1, UU University - What Leadership Is And Isn't.
- Review Leader Resource 1 for a summary of the presentation.
Description of Activity
Using Leader Resource 1 and your gleanings from the presentation, explain the difference between leadership and management.
Then, distribute Handout 2. Invite participants to turn to a partner and read the scenario. Wait for all pairs to finish. Then, say:
Given the information we have about First UU Anytown, we will create a list of questions that will guide this congregation toward ways to address its problems and move toward its goal. The questions should not seek more information to complete the scenario. Rather, let's come up with questions which ask, "Are we doing things right?" (management) and "Are we doing right things?" (leadership). For example, a management question might be, "How can we better furnish our building?" A leadership question might be, "Is our building adequate for our mission?" Let's compose some management questions and some leadership questions.
Take ten minutes to compile questions. Write each question on newsprint and lead the group to assign it a "L" or "M" for leadership or management.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.