You Are Here
Handout 1: UU Quiz Game Questions, Side 1
UU POSTAGE STAMPS
- Who was Whitney Young?
Answer: Twentieth-century social worker, educator, civil rights leader and winner of the Medal of Freedom
- Who was Clara Barton?
Answer: Civil War nurse and founder of the American Red Cross
JUUSTICE FOR ALL
- What is green sanctuary?
Answer: Program where congregations work toward environmental justice
- What are some recent UUA statements of conscience?
Answer: Threat of Global Warming, Peacemaking and Alternatives to the War on Drugs
- What is a Welcoming Congregation?
Answer: A congregation that has an intentional outreach to Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Transgender people and their families
- What are some of the Sources of our tradition?
Answer: Wisdom from the world's religions, spiritual teachings of earth-based religions, stories of prophetic women and men, Jewish and Christian teachings, direct experience of mystery and wonder, humanist teachings
- In which traditions are the religious and historical roots of Unitarian Universalism?
Answer: Judaism and Christianity
OUR FREE ASSOCIATION
- What is the name of the continental UU young adult organization?
Answer: C*UUYAN (pronounced See-oo-yan) or continental UU Young Adult Network.
- In what kind of document are the seven principles contained? (hint: a __________ of right relations)
Answer: A covenant
- What do UUA districts do?
Answer: They provide geographically based resources to help local congregations.
- Who said "We need not think alike to love alike?"
Answer: Francis David, sixteenth-century Transylvanian Unitarian preacher
- Who said "Give them not hell, but hope and courage?"
Answer: John Murray, eighteenth-century Universalist, minister of the first Universalist Church in the U.S.
- Who said, "Men their rights and nothing more. Women their rights and nothing less"?
Answer: Susan B. Anthony, nineteenth-century advocate for women's suffrage