Activity 1: Covenant
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- For your own use, list the elements of covenant that you would like to suggest as the facilitator. You might include:
- Start and end on time.
- Practice respectful dialogue.
- Honor diversity of opinion and approach.
- If you desire confidentiality, ask for it.
- Share the floor.
- Be mindful of the time.
- Learn something new.
- Nurture your spirit.
- Post blank newsprint. Write the title, "How We Agree to Be with Each Other."
Description of Activity
Explain to participants that behavioral covenants are a foundational aspect of liberal congregations and the practice of establishing a covenant is an essential act of leadership.
Invite participants to suggest guidelines for how they will behave with each other during the program. Write all suggestions on newsprint. When the group has no more suggestions, add any items from the list you prepared.
Ask participants if they would have concerns about or difficulty agreeing to any items listed. Discuss those items and decide as a group whether to keep or eliminate them.
On a new sheet of newsprint, rewrite the covenant title and the agreed-upon items. Read the covenant aloud and ask for verbal assent from each participant.
Save the written covenant to post during future workshops.
For more information contact email@example.com.