You Are Here
Activity time: 18 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1, The Wisdom Tree, and prepare to read it aloud.
- Customize Taking It Home and copy for all participants. You may wish to include this workshop's Faith in Action activity, this workshop's Find Out More section, and/or the Spiritual Preparation section of the workshop that comes next in your series.
Description of Activity
Lead a conversation using one of these questions as a guide:
- Just how important are personal experiences? Can we effectively engage where we don't have any kind of personal connection or experience?
- What are the limits of our personal stories? Where does their usefulness begin? Where does it end?
- Are there times when our stories should not be the framework by which we define or shape our moral decisions? If so, how do we recognize and address those circumstances?
- What factors or circumstances limit our ability to fully comprehend another's experience and perspective? What effect might those limits have on our willingness to rely on narratives-our own or those known to us-to make moral and ethical choices?
After a few minutes of conversation, distribute Taking It Home. Share Leader Resource 1, The Wisdom Tree, as you extinguish the chalice.