Handout 2: UU Trivia Hunt
Work in teams to find the answers to these questions. You may consult any resources you can access in your congregation's building.
- What is the official name of our congregation?
- Who is the president/chairperson of the congregation?
- When was our congregation founded?
- In what year was our congregation's building constructed?
- Name a room in our building that is named for a famous Unitarian Universalist.
- Who was our congregation's first minister?
- Find a quote from our congregation's first minister.
- What is the first Source of "the living tradition which we share," as listed in the Principles and Purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association?
- What is at 25 Beacon Street in Boston?
- What is the name for the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations' system of governance, which offers a high degree of autonomy to each congregation?
- What ritual do almost all of our congregations engage in toward the beginning of worship?
- What sixteenth-century European heretic, hero to many Unitarian Universalists, was burned at the stake for his beliefs?
- Who defined Unitarianism in his 1819 sermon "Unitarian Christianity," and is sometimes called "the father of American Unitarianism"?
- In what city was the first Universalist church in America?
- In what city was the first Unitarian church in America?
- Who was the first woman minister in the United States to be ordained, achieve full ministerial standing, and be recognized by a religious denomination? Was she Unitarian or Universalist?
- Who wrote A Treatise on Atonement in 1805? What was its main point?
More recent history:
- When did the American Unitarian Association merge with the Universalist Church in America?
- The 2004 court decision in the case Goodridge v. Dept. of Public Health legalized same-sex marriage in Massachusetts. How many of the 14 plaintiffs in the case were Unitarian Universalists?
- What is the name of the comprehensive sexuality education program published by the Unitarian Universalist Association and United Church of Christ? Is there a curriculum in this series for adults?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.