Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Tea light candles (one per participant and leader)
- Altar or centering table
- Cloth for covering altar or centering table
- Chalice and candle
- Matches or lighter
- Optional: Singing the Living Tradition or other songbook (at least one copy; preferably one per participant)
Preparation for Activity
- Set tea light candles around the base of the chalice, one for each participant and leader.
- Select a familiar song or hymn for the group to sing together. If you do not have songbooks for each participant, write the lyrics on newsprint. If you have a guitarist or piano player in the group you may wish to arrange for musical accompaniment.
Description of Activity
Gather participants around the chalice. Light the chalice (if it is not still lit) and a tea candle, and express gratitude for the group and what has been learned.
Invite each participant to light a candle and share something she/he has learned or would like to say to the group.
Invite everyone to sing a familiar song or hymn. Distribute songbooks or post the lyrics.
As you extinguish the chalice, read the following closing words:
May our efforts here fuel the fires of connection in this world. May our individual efforts take us one step closer to creating a world of inherent worth and dignity for every person, beginning right here with our partners. Blessed be; may it be so; amen.
For more information contact email@example.com.