You can always figure out who is executing the system. It appears that almost everybody's executing it, even you are executing it until you are actively fighting it. — Bernice Johnson Reagon, founder, Sweet Honey in the Rock
This workshop invites participants to move from examining White privilege to taking action to dismantle it. While race-based privilege is not necessarily sought or enjoyed by those who are its beneficiaries, it is important to acknowledge and understand privilege in order to understand the way oppression manifests in our society. Such understanding is foundational to developing the capacity and the skill to take action to dismantle barriers so that all people "matter" in our congregations and in our society.
Before leading this workshop, review the accessibility guidelines in the program Introduction under Integrating All Participants.
This workshop will:
- Offer experiences to deepen understanding of the way oppression and privilege manifest in society and congregation
- Offer strategies for participants to begin acting to dismantle systems of privilege.
- Deepen understanding of how privilege works
- Begin to develop ways to dismantle privilege when necessary
- Begin to explore ways to use their own privilege for the common good.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.