Opening (10 minutes), Workshop 19: Exploring Our Communities
In "Building the World We Dream About," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Worship table or designated space
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- List of this workshop's Goals
- Covenant established in Workshop 1
- Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, enough for all participants
- Optional: Piano or keyboard
Preparation for Activity
- Review participant evaluations from Workshop 17. Discuss with your co-facilitators any patterns or concerns that have emerged. Prepare to briefly share feedback with the group, while keeping confidentiality.
- Optional: Arrange for an accompanist or song leader to help you teach "All the Colors," Hymn 305 in Singing the Living Tradition.
Description of Activity
Light the chalice or invite a participant to light it while you read aloud these words by Juana Bordas, from the book, Salsa, Soul, and Spirit: Leadership for a Multicultural Age:
Organizations must be willing to reinvent themselves by altering their language, structure, and methods of operations. They must also change the guard, welcoming diverse leaders to the table to share their perspectives and experiences. This takes deep listening and open dialogue. New forms are created that integrate everyone's experiences, ideas, and unique contributions. Changing structures, norms, and values is the key to egalitarian pluralism and the foundation for multicultural organizations.
Sing together Hymn 305, "All the Colors." If the group includes Spanish speakers, sing the Spanish lyrics as well as the English.
Remind participants of the spirit of their covenant and invite participants to reaffirm their agreement to abide by it.
Share the goals of this workshop.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- Workshop 13
- Workshop 14
- Workshop 15
- Workshop 16
- Workshop 17
- Workshop 18
- Workshop 19
- Workshop 20
- Workshop 21
- Workshop 22
- Workshop 23
- Workshop 24
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources
- List of Stories