Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Lined paper and pens/pencils
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Taking It Home
- Handout 1, Theology and Antiracism - Latino and Latina Perspectives
- Handout 2, Parents Shouldn't Take Their Children's Race Personally
- Handout 3, We Are One
- Handout 4, Come Ye Disconsolate
- Handout 5, Pirates, Boats, and Adventures in Cross-Cultural Engagement
Preparation for Activity
- Write these questions on newsprint, and post:
- What ideas were most interesting or challenging to you?
- What powerful ideas, concerns, or puzzlements are you holding as a result of this session?
- Copy Taking It Home and handouts for all participants.
Description of Activity
Invite participants to spend five minutes writing feedback in response to the question you have posted on newsprint.
Distribute Taking It Home and Handouts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and invite participants to do the suggested activities before the next meeting. Read the instructions aloud and invite participants to ask questions.
Offer the following words of Kat Liu and extinguish the chalice:
Some people have argued that Unitarian Universalism is not for everyone, that we cannot be all things to all people. While this is true, the question remains: What, then, will we be, and for whom? If we want to be a religion of the race and class privileged, then we need not change, and we can watch society pass us by. If it is our desire to be prophetic leaders in building a multiethnic, multicultural beloved community, we must step outside our culture-bound viewpoints, recognize that other equally valid viewpoints exist, and intentionally work to see through the eyes of others. Those among us who live on various margins have already had to learn to do this.
May we lead, not lag. May we reclaim the voice of our prophetic faith.
Gather participants' written feedback.
Including All Participants
Prepare a large-print version of Taking It Home.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.