Our Whole Lives for Older Adults Field Test
You are invited to bring Our Whole Lives (OWL): Sexuality Education for Older Adults to your community by field testing this new curriculum during the first half of 2017. Applications are online, with a January 31, 2017 submission deadline.
OWL for Older Adults takes a values-based, social justice approach to the sexuality of adults in mid-life and beyond. It is one of a select few curricula designed specifically for a growing population of adults aged 50 and above.
Most adults aged 57 to 85 consider sexuality an important part of life even if they do not have a partner, yet their lack of access to sexuality education can have personal and public health ramifications. The information that is available tends to focuses on sexual dysfunction and ageist assumptions rather than on the benefits and joys of healthy sexuality.
OWL for Older Adults reduces shame, normalizes age-related changes, enhances knowledge about relationships, and increases older adults’ awareness of and confidence in their sexual choices and possibilities. It helps older adults enjoy the life-affirming benefits of sexual expression (solo or partnered) while supporting participants to determine when, how, with whom, or whether they will be romantically and/or sexually intimate. The curriculum also equips participants to move beyond their intellect to address the attitudes, values, and feelings they have about their own and others’ sexuality.
OWL for Older Adults joins the highly acclaimed comprehensive sexuality education series co-published by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ.
Field Test Site Criteria
Two facilitators approved for the Young Adult/Adult levels of Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education
- Available to test the curriculum between February 15-June 30, 2017
- Must complete at least seven of the fourteen two-hour workshops (you are welcome to test all 14)
- One facilitator from your site must complete an online survey after each workshop is completed
- Eight or more program participants, at least half of whom are 50 years of age or older
- All settings welcome, e.g., congregations, senior centers, retirement communities, etc.
- Both facilitators must attend a training webinar on Tuesday February 7, 1-2 p.m. or Wednesday February 8, 9-11 p.m. Eastern time. The webinar will be archived for viewing on another date, but must be viewed prior to the start of your program.
Deadline to apply: January 31, 2017