You Are Here
Unitarian Universalists Respond to Tragedy in Knoxville
A shooting on the morning of July 27, 2008, which came during a performance of a children’s play at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church (TVUUC) resulted in the death of one TVUUC member and one member of Westside Unitarian Universalist Church (located in Farragut, Tennessee) who was visiting TVUUC for the performance. Six adults were also injured but no children were harmed during the melee. The gunman was tackled by congregants and eventually taken into police custody.
In the wake of this tragedy, Unitarian Universalists have rallied to offer ministry and support to the affected members of both Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregations.
One year after the tragedy occurred, on July 26 and July 27, 2009, the Knoxville congregations and the wider Knoxville community came together in worship and song to commemorate the tragedy, dedicated to standing on the side of love.
UUA.org Features and Reporting
- One Year Later: What I've Learned from the Tragedy in Knoxville, by Annette Marquis, District Executive, UUA Thomas Jefferson District (July 28, 2009)
- Program, Instruments of Peace Concert (July 27, 2009)
- Order of Worship, TVUUC, including remarks from Annette Marquis and a sermon by Rev. Chris Buice (PDF) (July 26, 2009)
- Transcript of Knoxville Community Service to Honor Shooting Victims (July 29)
UUWorld.org Features and Reporting
- Their Spirit is Still With Us by Christopher Buice
- Knoxville Churches Honor Shooting Victims; Killer Pleads Guilty
- Knoxville UUs Tear Garment to Mourn Shooting Victims
- Joe Barnhart Remembers Friend Linda Kraeger
- Knoxville Church Adapts to Aftermath of Shooting
- Fund Raises $41,000 for Knoxville Church Shooting Victims
- Two UUs Killed in Church Shooting
- Knoxville Stands With Grieving UUs After Shootings
- "I've Never Been So Proud to be a Knoxvillean"—Interview with John Bohstedt
- Prayer in the Aftermath of Hate
Blog: Local media coverage of UU shootings:
- Roundup of blog responses to the shootings (August 1)
From the President of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA)
- Statement on the Anniversary of Tragedy in Knoxville (July 22, 2009)
- UU Historical Society's award-winning youth essay, by Olivia Spooner: "Tomorrow: The Tragedy and Healing in Knoxville" (PDF, 21 pages)
- Letter from UU Ministers Association
- Trauma Response Resources for Families and Children
- Making Meaning After Disaster—A Workshop for UU Adults
- Meditations, Hymns, Prayers, and More
- Chalice Lighting by Rev. Chris Buice and Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh. Watch another chalice lighting (Flash) by Rev. Buice and Rev. Jafarzadeh from the UUA General Assembly, Plenary VI.
- Watch Rev. Chris Buice's appearance on PBS' Bill Moyers Journal (originally broadcast September 12, 2008, updated and rebroadcast July 24, 2009)
- Articles listed on UUA.org related to Knoxville