Doctrine of Discovery: Study and Discussion Resources
At the 2012 General Assembly in Phoenix, AZ, delegates of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) passed a resolution repudiating the Doctrine of Discovery.
In the months leading up to the vote, the UUA Board and headquarters staff honored the request of our immigration justice partner organizations and led the association in a period of study and discussion about the Doctrine of Discovery. The resources below can help Unitarian Universalist congregations, groups, and individuals continue to learn more and take action on the 2012 resolution.
Repudiating the Doctrine of Discovery: From Call to Resolution
- Report from the Board (PDF, 5 pages) on the Doctrine of Discovery
- Open letter from Oren Lyons (PDF, 3 pages), Faith Keeper, Turtle Clan of the Onondaga Nation
- “A Call from our Arizona Immigration Justice Partners” from Cooking Together, the UUA immigration justice blog
- 2012 Responsive Resolution: The Doctrine of Discovery (English), Sobre la Doctrina del Descubrimento (Spanish)
- Interview of Rev. Michael Tino by Tupac Enrique Acosta of Tonatierra about the passing of the resolution
Study Materials on the Doctrine of Discovery
- Doctrine of Discovery Discussion Guide (PDF, 11 pages)
- Introduction to the Doctrine of Discovery (5 minute video)
- The True Story of the Colonization of the United States (14 minute video)
- Doctrine of Discovery independent study group (Jamesville, NY)
- “Restoring Indigenous People’s Rights” from Cooking Together, the UUA immigration justice blog
- “Immigration and Indigenous Theology” from Cooking Together, the UUA immigration justice blog
Taking Action on the Resolution
- Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the UN Declaration: A call to action by Kamila Jacob of the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office
- Bringing the Doctrine of Discovery Home
- Take action on the rights and needs of Native peoples
- Honor Indigenous Peoples Day
- Learn about Unitarian Universalist congregations and groups that are engaging in Doctrine of Discovery-related projects!
- More ways to take action on the Doctrine of Discovery resolution
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.