Apply for Official Renewal of Your Welcoming Congregation Status
If your congregation received its Welcoming Congregation recognition more than five year ago, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Ministries (LGBTQ Ministries) strongly recommends that your congregation official renews its Welcoming Congregation designation. The LGBTQ world is changing too fast to stay abreast of how to be welcoming and inclusive without an intentional effort on behalf of your congregation. To honor your original pledge, it’s essential that new people in the congregation understand your congregation’s commitment to this work and that people who were originally involved in the program, learn about the current needs and concerns of LGBTQ people.
Action Steps for Renewing Your Welcoming Congregation Status
- Revisit the Guidelines and Action Steps for Welcoming Congregations. Identify areas to engage further, create new goals, and make a plan to carry them out.
- Offer new opportunities for your congregation to make measurable achievements around LGBTQ issues through education, congregational life, and community outreach. Check out our refresher program page for ideas.
- Do specific work around transgender identity and welcome, and bisexual and queer identity and welcome.
- Take steps to deepen and broaden your congregation’s welcome and inclusion of all. Consider additional programming around how sexuality and gender intersect with race, class, age, and/or ability.
- Have a congregational vote in favor of renewing your Welcoming Congregation status!
How to Apply for Renewal
To apply for renewal of your Welcoming Congregation status, any member of your congregation may send LGBTQ Ministries the following information:
- Name of congregation and mailing address
- Name, phone number, and email address of the person submitting the application
- Date and results of congregational vote for renewal
A summary of the work done in service of renewing your status, specifying what has been accomplished since your congregation was initially recognized, including:
- Details around your additional work in the areas of education, congregational life, and community outreach
- What specific work you've done around transgender, bisexual, and queer identity and welcome
- The steps you have taken and continue to take to identify and address areas where you can deepen your welcome of people of all races, ethnicities, economic status, abilities, ages, sexual orientations, and gender identities
Send your application to: lgbtq [at] uua [dot] org. Please allow one month for review.
Upon renewal, you will receive a formal letter of renewal and two new Welcoming Congregation posters.
For more information contact email@example.com.