Unitarian Universalist Policy on BGLT Equality
The following Public Policy Statement is a consolidation of all relevant statements approved by the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations (UUA) General Assembly and Board of Trustees.
Equal Rights for Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Persons
The Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations affirms the worth and dignity of every person, and covenants to promote justice, equity, and compassion in human relations. Furthermore, the Association holds that love between two men, two women, or one man and one woman creates deep and caring relationships and families and provides nurturing environments for couples and their children. Thus, the UUA supports civil equality and human rights for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and/or transgender (BGLT) people. In particular, the Association supports the following:
Full legal equality for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and/or transgender people, including:
- The right for same-sex couples to marry;
- Rescission of laws governing private sexual behavior between consenting adults;
- Non-discrimination in employment practices and job-related benefits;
- Granting or renewal of federal security clearance or visas, and the granting of citizenship without regard to sexual orientation.
- Legal protections against persecution and hate crimes.
- Medically-accurate, age-appropriate comprehensive sexuality education in public schools, that encompasses heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender orientations.
- Legislative and grassroots efforts to end persecution of and intolerance against bisexual, gay, lesbian, and/or transgender people.
- Patronage of businesses and organizations which do not discriminate toward bisexual, gay, lesbian and/or transgender people; avoidance of companies with discriminatory policies.
- Efforts to overturn policies of the Boy Scouts of America which discriminate against bisexual, gay, lesbian, and/or transgender people.
- The right of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and/or transgender people to serve openly in the United States military.
- Unitarian Universalist Congregations and an Association which are fully and explicitly welcoming of bisexual, gay, lesbian and/or transgender people in employment, ministry and congregational life, including services of union for same-sex couples.
For more information contact email@example.com.