Become a UU-UNO Envoy!
About Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office (UU-UNO) Envoys
What is a UU-UNO Envoy?
An Envoy acts to represents the UU United Nations Office within their local congregation. They connect the congregation to the UU United Nations Office and get important information on current UN activities. They receive information on our program initiatives and then plan events in their congregation to promote the program. Envoys are extremely valuable to the UU United Nations Office because they are the link between the office and the global UU community. If your congregation does not already have an Envoy or Youth Envoy, consider becoming one. Or better yet, consider forming an Envoy Committee. To join the team, contact the office, and we will get you started. Envoy Coordinator: unenvoycoordinator [at] uua [dot] org.
How did the UU-UNO and the Envoy system originate, and how is it related to the UUA?
In 1962 the U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Adlai Stevenson in talking to Reverend Dana Greeley suggested that each UU congregation have an Envoy who would inform UUs about the activities of the UN. Following this, an office was set up by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) to coordinate the efforts of such envoys. Thus, the UU United Nations Office was formed and initially under the Department of Social Justice, UUA. Later, it was spun off as an associate organization with no direct funding from UUA. In July 2011, the UU-UNO rejoined the UUA as a part of its the International Resources Department.
How Can I Become an Envoy or Youth Envoy?
To become an envoy first read about Getting Started and Envoy Responsibilities and then contact our Envoy Coordinator by email, unenvoycoordinator [at] uua [dot] org or by phone at (617) 948-4610, ext. 3. We will add you to the envoy email list and send you an envoy welcome packet.
- There will be an Envoy Breakfast at the UUA's General Assembly in June. Meet other Envoys and prospective Envoys and discuss plans for the upcoming year!
- If you've completed your UN Sunday service, please submit your UN Sunday Report via the online form.
- Take a look at the minutes (PDF) from the recent envoy conference call from April 2016 and discuss with your envoy team or committee.
- For more information and events check out the Envoy Newsletter page. If you have any questions please email the Envoy Coordinator: unenvoycoordinator [at] uua [dot] org.
Materials to Print and Share
Here you can find links to download flyers about each of the UU-UNO's program areas. You can print these and share them with others in your congregation!
- Climate Justice Program Flyer
- Every Child is Our Child Program Flyer
- Women's Rights Program Flyer
- Racial Justice Program Flyer
- LGBTQ Rights Program Flyer
- Envoy Program Flyer
- Get Involved and How We Work Flyer
- Spring Seminar Flyer
- Climate Action Brochure (Be sure to "flip on short edge" when you print this one double sided!)