Blue Ribbon Award for Congregations Supporting the UU United Nations Office
Congratulations to the 2016-2017 Blue Ribbon Congregations
The following 22 congregations have met all of the requirements to become a Blue Ribbon Congregation and have shown their dedication to human rights and international social justice through their support of the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office. Congratulations to all of this year's winners! Blue Ribbon Congregation Awards are presented to representatives of the winning congregations each year at the Unitarian Universalist Association's General Assembly and at the Canadian Unitarian Council's National Conference.
- Monte Vista Unitarian Universalist Congregation (Montclair, CA)
- Conejo Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (Newbury Park, CA)
- Unitarian Society of New Haven (Hamden, CT)
- The Unitarian Church in Westport (Westport, CT)
- First Unitarian Society of Wilmington Delaware (Wilmington, DE)
- North Shore Unitarian Universalist Society (Lacombe, LA)
- Community Church Unitarian Universalist (New Orleans, LA)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at Salisbury (Salisbury, MD)
- Glacier Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (Kalispell, MT)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Jersey Shore (Egg Harbor City, NJ)
- Morristown Unitarian Fellowship (Morristown, NJ)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Huntington (Huntington, NY)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Shelter Rock (Manhasset, NY)
- Unitarian Church of Staten Island (Staten Island, NY)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Rock Tavern (Washingtonville, NY)
- All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church (Watertown, NY)
- Unitarian Congregation in Mississauga (Mississauga, ON)
- Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Washington County (Hillsboro, OR)
- First Unitarian Church of Portland (Portland, OR)
- Unitarian Society of Germantown (Philadelphia, PA)
- Unitarian Universalist Church of North Hatley (UU Estrie) (North Hatley, QC)
- First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee (Milwaukee, WI)
Blue Ribbon Award Requirements
You have a great opportunity to strengthen support for the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office (UU-UNO) by helping your congregation achieve Blue Ribbon status. The Blue Ribbon Award is given yearly to congregations that have proved their continued support of the UU-UNO by meeting the following four requirements:
- Have an Envoy, Youth Envoy, or Envoy Team.
Envoys serve as the link between their congregation, the UU-UNO, and the United Nations. They promote UU-UNO education and advocacy in their congregations and bring local concerns to the international stage through the UU-UNO. Learn about the Envoy Program.
- Hold an annual UN Sunday service.
In celebration of the founding of the United Nations on October 24th, 1945, the UU-UNO invites congregations to deepen their understanding of the United Nations by devoting one service in October to highlighting the work of the UU-UNO and reaffirming the connections between UU principles and vital issues dealt with at the UN. Learn about United Nations Sunday.
- Have 15 members or 5% of your congregation become individual UU-UNO Supporters.
The annual contribution rate for UU-UNO Supporters is $60 (or $30 for Retired/Student Supporter). Please create a document to keep track of the Supporters from your congregation and send to the UU-UNO with your UN Sunday report.
Give the UU-UNO an annual budget line or collection plate.
Talk to your minister and administrators to find out how to create an annual budget line. Alternatively, the collection plate criteria can be accomplished at your UN Sunday service!
In return, your congregation will be recognized for its steadfast dedication to international human rights and be presented with:
- A reception in your honor at UUA General Assembly or the Canadian Unitarian Council (CUC) National Conference.
- Formal recognition on the UU-UNO website.
- A specialized plaque to be displayed at your congregation.
For more information on how to become a Blue Ribbon Congregation, contact our office: unitednations [at] uua [dot] org
View the list of congregations who have received the Blue Ribbon award in previous years.