All the Documents Needed by a Membership Committee
November 1, 2004
As a service to Unitarian Universalist (UU) membership committees, InterConnections, the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) newsletter for board members and professional staff of all UU congregations, has created a collection of documents which are necessary for membership committee functions. Please amend them as necessary for your purposes. They are as follows:
- Exit Interviews—Sample letter and phone forms.
- What UUs Believe—A document to give to visitors at New UU classes to help them explain their new faith to non-UUs.
- Membership Committee Budget—An example of a budget and items that membership committees are generally responsible for.
- Membership Committee Bylaws—Sample bylaws for membership committees.
- Membership Calendar—Deadlines throughout the year to pay attention to.
- Greeting Visitors—Collected wisdom on how to greet visitors well.
- Interest Finder—A form to give to new members soliciting information about interests and hobbies, for the purpose of helping them get involved in church life.
- Membership Job Description—A detailed description of all the responsibilities of membership committees.
- Newcomers Class—An outline for a Newcomers class.
- Newcomers Orientation—Another example of Newcomer Classes.
- New-Member Ceremony—A sample script for a new-member ceremony.
- Membership Packets—List of what information to give visitors/new members, and when.
- Programs List—A comprehensive list of all church programs, with descriptions, to lay out as a booklet to give to friends, members, and to visitors. Use these sample programs as a template to develop a list for your own congregation.
- Remembership Committee—The idea is to call every member of the congregation 3-4 times during the year. The calls will have NOTHING to do with a request for money or services.
- Small Membership Committee—What to do if your congregation is small and there are only three members on your committee.
- Stewardship—A document to give out at New UU classes and to new members explaining expectations about giving time and money.
- Want to Know More about UUism?—A handout for newcomers, explaining where they can get more information about Unitarian Universalism (websites, bookstore, etc.)
- First-Time Visitor Sign Up—A template for creating a document to capture first-time visitor information.
- Welcome to Our Church—A handout for visitors on the process involved in joining the congregation.
- Welcome Back—A sign-in sheet for return visitors.
For more information contact interconnections @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, September 14, 2011.