What Children Should Experience on Sunday Mornings
October 1, 1999Q. What should the Sunday morning experience include for children?
A. What I would like to see kids get on Sunday morning:
- I would like to know that every week, when a child walks out the door, she is at least a little glad she came.
- I would like an adult who is not a child's parent to ask him how his week has been. I would like the child to have a little something to eat with a friend.
- I would like each child who comes to walk out with one little spark of thought she didn't have when she came in.
- I would like her to be called by her name by someone outside of her immediate family.
- I would like him to hear the words "Unitarian Universalist" at least once.
- I would like them to see at least one candle lit and hear at least one song sung.
If all these things happen every week for every child, we will have succeeded. When we spend our time teaching, our goals should be focused on these simple things. If we plan engaging, enjoyable classes, with a lot of room for enjoying the fact we are in this community, most of these things will be accomplished.
Director of Religious Education
Edmonds Unitarian Universalist Church, Edmonds WA (288 members)
For more information contact interconnections @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, September 14, 2011.