You Are Here
How to Build a Music Ministry
From Ken Langer, director of music and arts, Eno River Unitarian Universalist (UU) Fellowship, Durham, NC, writing in the Spring 2004 issue of UU Musicians Network Notes newsletter.
- Choose good music and do it well.
- Treat the choir as another small group whose members care for each other.
- Do more than sing––talk about the music with the congregation, making a connection between the music and the theme of the service.
- Provide music opportunities for people at all levels and skills, including children.
- Consistently spread the message to others, including the congregation and the music committee, that music is a ministry.
- Music in Our Congregations: Handbook for Staffing a Music Program in UU Congregations can be obtained for $5 (free to UUMN members). More information on the UUMN website.