Not Too Late to Hear GA 09 Voices of Experience
If you missed General Assembly 2009 (GA 09), or simply didn’t get to attend all of the sessions you wanted to, there’s still a way to get that information. Here are workshop presentations that may be especially useful to congregational leaders.
- 2017 The Perversity of Diversity—The Rev. Dr. Mark Morrison-Reed analyzes our desire to be more racially diverse in our congregations and what keeps that from happening.
- 2031 Beyond Fundraising: A Guide to Congregational Stewardship—by Dr. Wayne Clark, the Unitarian Universalist Association’s (UUA’s) Director of Congregational Stewardship Services. Participants share stewardship best practices as revealed in the first two years of a three-year demonstration project.
- 3020 Facilitator Training: The Key to Small Group Ministry Success—Leaders in the Small Group Ministry movement present this workshop.
- 3028 Guess Who’s Coming to Worship? – The story of how a black Pentecostal church was folded into All Souls Unitarian Church of Tulsa, OK. The Rev. Marlin Lavanhar and Bishop Carlton Pearson.
- 4032 Ethical Eating: What are UU Congregations Doing? – by the Rev. Dr. Paul Johnson and the Rev. John Millspaugh. Stories of how congregations are responding to the Congregational Study/Action Issue on ethical eating. Also, 4061, a workshop by the Rev. LoraKim Joyner on how to talk with others about ethical eating.
- 4040 Take OWL OUT of Our Congregations—The story of how the Unitarian Universalist (UU) Church of Arlington, VA, took its Our Whole Lives (OWL) sexuality education program into the community, making it available to non-UUs.
- 4042 JUUNTOS/Together!—The Rev. Nancy Palmer Jones and others from one of our most diverse congregations, First Unitarian Church of San Jose, describe how that diversity came to be and how it’s working.
- 4055 What Young Adults Look for in a Congregation – Hear members of the Young Adult Caucus at GA describe what they look for in a congregation.
- 4062 Youth Ministry: Exploring Best Practices Together—Leaders in youth ministry talk about what congregations can do to create vibrant youth ministry programs.
- 5016 Beginning a Lay Pastoral Care Program—Everything you need to know to start a lay pastoral care program in your congregation.
- 5022 Leadership in Tough Economic Times—The economic crisis as a leadership challenge. How to raise money and trim budgets while managing anxiety and recognizing opportunities. The Rev. Dr. Ian Evison and the Rev. Kenn Hurto. The PowerPoint slides from this presentation are available on the UUA Florida District website.
Check out the full GA program schedule on UUA.org. Most sessions at GA were recorded. CDs may be ordered and shared within committees or other leadership groups as a way of generating enthusiasm for particular programs.