Preparing for and Responding to Raids
From Raids to Deportation: A Community Resource Kit (PDF, 17 pages), by Detention Watch Network and National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild. Revised January 2008. Also check out Detention Watch Network's website, which has a wealth of resources.
Community Raid Preparedness Checklist: Lessons Learned From New Bedford, MA, and Marshalltown, IA (PDF, 2 pages), by Fair Immigration Reform Movement (FIRM). April 2007.
How Other Communities Have Responded to Raids
The Los Angeles Rapid Response Network: How Advocates Prepared for and What They Learned From the Recent Workplace Raid in Van Nuys, by National Immigration Law Center (NILC). June 19, 2008.
New Bedford Immigrant Raids, by Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition.
Longer-term Response Ministries
The New Sanctuary Movement
- New Sanctuary Movement Website
- UUA Resource Guide on New Sanctuary Movement (PDF, 6 pages), by the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Office of Congregational Advocacy and Witness and the UUA Washington Office for Advocacy.
- The UUA Staff person who provides support to congregations looking to become involved with the New Sanctuary Movement is Susan Leslie, who can be emailed at socialjustice [at] uua [dot] org.
Detainee Visitation Ministry
- Map of Detention Centers in the U.S., by Detention Watch Network.
- The Visitor, directed by Tom McCarthy. The Visitor is a fictional but powerful film about a man who visits an undocumented immigrant in detention. The film's webpage has a myriad of links to information on supporting detainees.
Background/Guides to Immigration Issues for Faith Activists
Welcoming Our Neighbors: An Immigration Resource for Unitarian Universalists (PDF, 27 pages), by the Washington Office for Advocacy and the Office of Congregational Advocacy & Witness. June 2008. Pages 9 - 12 deal with raids and deportations.
For Once You Were a Stranger: Immigration in the U.S. Through a Lens of Faith (PDF, 112 pages), by Interfaith Worker Justice. 2007. Pages 54 - 56 list raids from December 2005 to December 2006.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.