Welcoming Guests in Our Congregations
Be more intentional about the welcome extended to guests who come to our congregations each week. Here are some resources that can help:
- Welcome: A Unitarian Universalist Primer, an introduction to our liberating and nourishing faith including a brief, lucid history; commonly used readings and prayers; and inspirational quotations, for newcomers and members alike, available from the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Bookstore
- Some Disability Etiquette Tips for Greeting People at Church
- Talking to Guests (PDF, 2 pages)
- "Sunday Super Greeters Keep Visitors Engaged, Returning" from InterConnections
- Conducting Guest Interviews (PDF)
- Visitor Interview Form (PDF, 2 pages)
Other Ideas and How-to's
- All Souls Unitarian Church, Tulsa, OK: Visitors and Newcomers Information
- Jefferson Unitarian Church, Golden, CO: Newcomer's Page
- "Does your church put out the 'welcome' mat or the 'do not disturb' sign?" asks Gary L. McIntosh's book Beyond the First Visit: the Complete Guide to Connecting Guests to Your Church. This gives an important look at your church through the eyes of a first-time guest.
- Widening the Welcome of Your Church: Biblical Hospitality & the Vital Congregation by Fred Bernhard and Steve Clapp discusses compelling welcoming issues from being a caring host, to welcoming children, youth, and young adults, to considering physical facilities and worship, while offering useful checklists to aid us in widening our welcome to all.
- Daniel Homan and Lonni Collins Pratt's book Radical Hospitality: Benedict's way of Love has become a classic text for exploring what it means to be truly welcoming to others, both at church and in all of life. Also see the Companion Guide to Radical Hospitality. These companion books are available from the UUA Bookstore.
For more information contact growthresources @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, April 26, 2011.
- Newcomer Hospitality
- Nurturing Inclusivity
- Ideas for Growth
- Leap of Faith: Congregational Mentoring
- The World Needs Us
- Listening to Experience
- Breakthrough Congregations
- Congregational Stories
- GA Presentations
- Why Add a Worship Service?
- Congregational Size Theory
- Small Congregations
- Midsize Congregations
- Large Congregations