Spiritually Grounded Leadership Development
Being Spiritually Grounded—one of the twelve recommended leadership development competencies—includes:
- A clear, positive understanding and personal practice of one’s own faith in our liberal religious tradition.
- Being able to “translate” and not be reactive to the language, beliefs or practices of other faith traditions.
- Being able to access one's "core" or "center" and connect it to their understanding of the transcendent (e.g. God/Goddess, Holy Spirit, Ground of All Being, the Universe etc.).
We are religious being who seek meaning through the direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces that create and uphold life.
- Seeking spiritual direction
- Group Spiritual Practice in Small Group Ministry
- Spiritual Practices (e.g. yoga, tai chi, etc.)
- Meditating on the Minutes by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- The Agenda as Prayer Book by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Setting the Space by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Take a Breath by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Hold Your Tongue by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Transcendence (YouTube, 49:55): The Art of the Extraordinary, Connie Goodbread
- The Spirituality of Service by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Strong Leaders Ask Good Questions: Here's How by Tracey Rouse
- The Value of Personal Spiritual Practice, Denny Davidoff (podcast and article)
- Serving with Grace (for teams/committees/boards) by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Serving with Grace (for individuals) by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- Lay Leadership as a Spiritual Practice (requires free registration): examples of how one congregation uses Serving with Grace: Lay Leadership as a Spiritual Practice by Erik Walker Wikstrom
- What Moves Us: Unitarian Universalist Theology by Rev. Dr. Thandeka (Tapestry of Faith Curriculum)
- Spirit of Life by Rev. Barbara Hamilton-Holway (Tapestry of Faith Curriculum)
- Spirit in Practice by Rev. Erik Walker Wikstrom (Tapestry of Faith Curriculum)
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.