Mission-Focused Leadership Development
Being Mission-Focused—one of the twelve recommended leadership development competencies—includes:
- Purpose-driven leadership.
- Having a clear sense of the mission of the congregation and keeping the congregation focused on that mission.
- Having a clear sense of one’s own mission or call.
We are obligated to use our resources to help build the Beloved Community. Although we have a sense of responsibility and commitment to the stewardship of the institutional aspects of the church, we understand that it's purpose is greater than the church itself.
- Develop and reflect on one's own sense of call.
- Use the congregation's mission as a touch-stone while doing the work of the church.
- What is Your Congregation's Mission? (YouTube, 1:47)
- The Missional Church: Simple (YouTube, 2:00)
- Mission-Based Decision-Making (YouTube, 14:57) with Rev. Dr. Terasa Cooley at Unitarian Universalist (UU) University
- Creating a Shared Vision (YouTube, 5:38) Gordon Graham
- Policy-Based Governance (YouTube, 6:31) with pastors and leaders from three different Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) Lutheran Churches
- Vision, Mission and Covenant (PDF, 98 pages): Creating a Future Together (Unitarian Universalist Association booklet)
- The Church as Wikipedia by Landon Whittsitt (chapter 2 of his book Open Source Church)
- The Liberal Church Finding Its Mission: It’s Not About You by the Rev. Peter C. Boullata
- The Missional Church and Unitarian Universalism by PeaceBang
- Who Owns a Congregation? by Dan Hotchkiss
- What is the Mission of Misisons? by Dan Hotchkiss
- What Can We Expect? Accountability and Volunteers by Susan Beaumont
- Congregational Mission Planning by Sharon Pearson
- Do You Know Your Purpose? (PDF) by Margaret J. Marcuson
- The Importance of Outcomes by Gil Rendle, Susan Beaumont
- What The Hell is Wrong with… Mission and Vision Statements? by Bernard Marr
- Planning a Ministry Focus from Your Ministry Area Profile (PDF)
- Visionary Shared Leadership is the Key by the Rev. Dr. Tom Chulak
- Practically Speaking by Andy Stanley A Series of 7 informal discussions among North Point staff showing how to focus on core values and ministry practices.
- Mission! Mission! Mission! Rev. Phil Lund
- Moving from Mission to Action (54:38) Rev. Renee Ruchotzke
- Living Your Purpose I: Core Values and Mission (54:54) 2014 GA Workshop
- Living Your Purpose II: Aspirational Values and Vision (1:15:40) 2014 GA Presentation
- Living Your Purpose III: Making It Stick (1:14:59) 2014 GA Workshop
- Loving the Hell out of the World (1:03:09) Presentation at the 2013 General Assembly where the Red Pill Brethren explain missionalism.
- The Red Pill Brethren Unitarian Universalists, passionate about the missional way of doing church, and doing life...which should be one and the same.
- CommonWealth Consulting Group (Michael Durall)
- The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else by Patrick Lencioni
- The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations by Ori Brafman
- The Growing Church: Keys to Congregational Vitality Thom Belote, ed.
- Missional Renaissance:Changing the Scorecard for the Church by Reggie McNeal
- The Purpose Driven Church: Growth Without Compromising Your Message & Mission by Rick Warren
- Not Your Parents' Offering Plate: A New Vision for Financial Stewardship by J. Clif Christopher
For more information contact email@example.com.