You Are Here
Emotional Intelligence for Leadership Development
Emotional Intelligence—one of the recommended leadership development competencies—includes:
- Forbearance, e.g. having self-control, especially when provoked.
- Presence and functioning, i.e. a high level of self-awareness with an alignment between the body and the mind.
- Knowing and taking responsibility for one’s own functioning in the system.
- Modeling humility when a mistake is made.
- Modeling grace when another makes a mistake.
- Being aware of what one’s emotional triggers are.
Unitarian leader William Ellery Channing held up the value of self-culture, i.e. developing the capacity to “look into oneself” to discern and live into a life that separates one’s own desires from pursuing one’s commitment to the faith community’s highest commitments.
- Yoga, Tai Chi or other spiritual practices
- Creating trusting, accountable relationships where you can help one another see your "blind spots"
- Edwin Friedman's Theory of Differientated Leadership Made Simple (YouTube, 6:45)
- David Goleman Introduces Emotional Intelligence (YouTube, 5:31)
- How Do I Sort Out Emotions? (YouTube, 1:50), Josh Freedman
- Differentiated Leadership by Arthur Paul Boers
- Emotional Intelligence and Leadership by Stephen Ott
- 8 Ways to Protect Yourself from Emotional Manipulation
- How Misplaced Anxiety Affects Your Decision Making
- Key Skills for Raising Emotional Intelligence by Jeanne Segal and Melinda Smith
- Have You Given Your Presence? (PDF) by Margaret Marcuson
- The Case for Becoming a Type Watcher by Roy M. Oswald and Otto Kroeger
- "Feminine" Values Can Give Tomorrow's Leaders an Edge by John Gerzema
- On Being the Non-Anxious Leader (YouTube) (41:37) with Mark Bernstein
- Six Seconds, The EQ Network (YouTube Channel of workshops)
- Six Seconds: Emotional Intelligence for Positive Change
Online Self-Discovery Resources
- Leadership Style Survey
- Personality Type based on Jungian Myers-Briggs model
- Personality Type based on the Enneagram
- Conflict Style
- Belief-O-Matic: answer 20 questions about your concept of God, the afterlife, human nature, and more, to find out what religion you are most closely aligned with
- Your Personality Learn more about your personality, relationships, attachment style, political attitudes and abilities.
- Genogram: mapping family emotional systems