You Are Here
Elements of a Successful Planned Giving Program
- Form a Planned Giving Committee
- Learn what Planned Giving is (and isn't).
- Develop a working knowledge of planned gift arrangements.
- Inform and re-inform lay and professional leadership of the benefits of Planned Giving.
- Adopt new guidelines (or revise existing ones) for a congregational endowment fund.
- Understand what motivates people to make Planned Gifts.
- Structure your program carefully.
- Identify your planned gift prospects.
- Create a Bequest Recognition Society.
- Prepare to receive, record and administer gifts.
- Hold an Estate Planning seminar.
- Ask for the gift. Ask for the gift. Ask for the gift.
- Say thank you! Honor, recognize, and involve donors in the life of your congregation.
- Avoid the temptation to overemphasize the technical or to provide legal counsel
Cultivate and consult financial and estate planning professionals.
- Evaluate and revise your program frequently.
Develop a working partnership with the charitable gift and estate planning staff at the Unitarian Universalist Association Office of legacy Gifts. Toll Free Phone Number: 1-888-792-5885.