Enroll Upon Hire
Inclusion matters. Providing a path for all employees, age 18 or older, to save for retirement is a fundamental requirement of the UU Retirement Plan.
Every employee of a participating employer is eligible to enroll and authorize Elective contributions or eligible roll-ins. Employers who have adopted the Plan are responsible for informing their employees, timely, about the governing provisions of this employee benefit plan.
Remember that the UU Plan is a multiple employer plan, and your new-to-you employee might already have enrolled, and might already have met the Plan's criteria to receive Employer's Retirement Contributions, and if applicable, also Employer's Matching Contributions.
Employees who begin to serve a new-to-them UU Employer must notify our office so that the Employer linkage can be manually updated. Employers, please contact email@example.com with questions about any employee who is new-to-you, to review their enrollment and eligibility-for-Employer's-contributions status in order to avoid having to make a correction later.
Remember, low and moderate income earners may qualify for the Saver's Tax Credit.
TIAA supports online enrollment for new hires that have not previously enrolled in the UU Plan.
Employees view investment options available in the Plan before enrollment: http://www.tiaa.org/uua Click Explore Benefits and scroll to the bottom and select Prospectuses, or compare investments. Difficulties? Call TIAA at 800-842-2829.
Provide employee(s) with the following disclosures and form before enrollment:
- Summary Plan Description (SPD) (PDF)
- Annual Plan Notice (PDF)
- Employee Contributions Agreement (PDF)
- Your UUA Member Congregation ID.
To complete enrollment, the employee must have on hand their:
- Full legal name (nicknames are not appropriate for this employee benefit plan)
- Their own Social Security Number (SSN)
- Their UU employer's 4 digit/character UUA Member Congregation ID. Find the "Church ID" in the UUA online congregation directory. The number is required for proper enrollment.
- Their chosen beneficiaries' full legal names and SSNs.
- Their investment choices.
Navigate to http://www.tiaa.org/uua and click "Ready to Enroll."
If the employee prefers to complete a paper enrollment form, which their employer then reviews for completeness and conveys to TIAA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about plan related fees.
Employers Wishing to Join the Plan
- Contact the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Retirement Plan Director (email@example.com) to obtain an Employer Participation Agreement form and to schedule time to ask key questions about your responsibilities.
- Include the following in your request: the name, email and mailing address, phone number, and UUA identifier of the congregation or related organization that wishes to become a Participating Employer.