Green Sanctuary Program Fiscal Year 2010 3rd Quarter Report
Green Sanctuary Program Accomplishments
- Two congregation’s Green Sanctuary activities have been featured on the Congregational Stewardship Blog. Read more about the featured congregations Hinsdale, IL, and Portsmouth, NH.
- Morristown Unitarian Fellowship has become the first congregation to engage in the Green Sanctuary Re-Accreditation Process. It’s clear that their designation as a Green Sanctuary has given their congregation the energy and enthusiasm for continued commitment to environmental practices.
- We are continuing to review resources for Green Sanctuaries including green books and films. You can find a review of the Children’s Book The Barefoot Book of Earth Tales and a review of the film 'Til the River Runs Clear on the Congregational Stewardship Blog. On the resources page of the Green Sanctuary section of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) website you can find a short paragraph summarizing the content and a 1-5 star rating of over fifty Children’s Books and over fifty films. Check back in the future for additional films, books, and websites.
- The Green Sanctuary Program is encouraging congregations to participate in Earth Day 2010: 40/40/40. 40 Years of Earth Day, 40 Days of commitment, 40 Unitarian Universalists (UUs) in your congregation stand up for environmental justice. Remember to register your congregation’s participation with the Uniarian Universalist Ministry for Earth (UUMFE).
- Partnering with UUMFE to support UU congregations, the Green Sanctuary Program encourages you to use the Earth Day 2010 resources compiled by the UUMFE.
- Renewal and the companion screening guide were originally sent to all UU congregations in September. If you would like an additional copy or you have not received the original packet, email uua_greensanctuary @ uua.org with your request along with your current mailing address. If you have received the packet, please take a quick survey about its usefulness.
- In partnership with the Renewal Project, we invite UU congregations to participate in the Renewal Web Festival by submitting your own personal stories (videos, photos, graphics, writings…) about engagement in the religious-environmental movement, specifically focusing on how commitment to the environment has affected your experience of faith.
Green Sanctuary Statistics for the UUA
1 Re-Accreditation Candidacy, 126 Accredited, 116 Candidates
Total congregations participating 243
Total congregations entering re-accreditation candidacy in FY10 3rd Quarter = 1
Total congregations accredited in FY10 3rd Quarter = 11
Total congregations recognized as candidates in FY10 3rd Quarter = 6
*Reminder: Green Sanctuary candidacy, accreditation, and re-accreditation applications are accepted year-round. Please send an electronic version of your application to uua_greensanctuary @ uua.org whenever your application is ready. Turn-around time for applications is approximately one month.
This report was generated on April 2, 2010.
For more information contact uua_greensanctuary @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, July 20, 2012.
- What is Environmental Justice
- Resources for Environmental Engagement
- Green Sanctuary
- Ethical Eating
- Climate Change
- Dependence on Fossil Fuels
- Access to Essential Resources
- Sustainable and Local Economy