You Are Here
Information to Include on a Congregational Website
A Basic Checklist
- Congregation name and complete meeting address (and mailing address, if different).
- The name of the building in which you meet, if different from your congregation name.
- Directions to your building—include text instructions and perhaps a map: MapQuest, Google Maps.
- Telephone number.
- Web editor email address.
- Congregation email address.
- Fax number—if your congregation has email but no fax, services such as efax.com will give you a free fax-to-email phone number.
- Meeting times and schedule of other services for adults and children; upcoming sermon topics and RE topics are a nice addition.
- Accessibility information: Is your meeting place wheelchair accessible? Is there handicapped parking? Are there large-print hymnals? Headphones in the sanctuary?
- A listing of your minister(s) and professional staff, including contact information. If you have no minister or staff, a listing of your congregation's officers and their contact information.
- What to wear; especially for children if your RE program has activities unsuited for "Sunday Best" clothes, but important info for the comfort of all first-time visitors.
- Clear and inviting information and images about who you are and what you stand for. Write your own or link to (or adapt) content from UUA.org, including:
- A link to UUA.org.
- A link to your district and region.
- A Newcomer FAQ is helpful. A simple thing like letting people know what to wear can help new people get up the courage to visit, and feel more at home right away. Consider including a page with answers to "What Newcomers Want to Know Before Their First Visit". UUA.org has an example.
Posting Personal Information
Ask permission before posting personal information about your members (phone numbers, addresses, personal joys or sorrows). Sometimes this information is included in congregations' newsletters.
Posting Images and Video
Only post images and videos with the permission of the subjects and/or copyright holders.
- Copyright issues and worship
- Copyright issues for UUA publications
- Sample photo and video permission form for congregations