Website Creation Help for Congregations
Our congregation listings average about 1,300 hits every Sunday morning.
People "pre-qualify" your community as a place where they'll belong by visiting your website before they visit your building. Websites are our new front door.
Start with something simple to establish an online presence and invite people to visit.
Following best practices will help your site succeed: Updating Your Web Presence offers an introduction to those, and includes some tips for testing your site's effectiveness.
- Administration and Ownership Considerations offers some specific areas that might be helpful for congregations to consider regarding their websites.
- Website hosting can be free or cheap, depending on your needs.
Design / Content Management Systems
- Whether you choose to code the site yourself, or decide to use a Content Management System (CMS) with a pre-made theme, we have resources to help you design your site's look and feel.
- Our content guidelines take you from simple beginnings to a thorough checklist, and include writing tips and ready-made content like web banners and social media plug-ins.
- Congregational treasurers offer some recommendations for accepting online donations or pledge payments.
Usability & Accessibility
- "Usability" refers to the ease with which people can use a website in order to achieve their goal.
- An accessible website doesn't exclude visitors due to their abilities, or the method they choose to access the web.
Promote Your Site
- Let us know about your site for a link on our congregational listings.
- Learn about search engine optimization to make your pages succeed in search results and for human beings, and then submit your web address to major web search engines.
- One emerging congregation got a stack of UU World magazines and put stickers on them that said, "Unitarian Universalist congregation coming to [town] this spring! [website]." They sprinkled the magazines around town (at the library, co-op, community center, YMCA, and the like) to great success.
- Contact growthresources [at] uua [dot] org for more good ideas.
- There are a number of people and resources that can help you develop a great web presence.
- Suggestions for Church Web Sites
- UUA Electronic Communication Policies
- Congregational Data and Computer Security Guidelines
Subscribe to the Websters Email List, For UU congregation and organizational webweavers.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.