Public Relations Resources for Congregations
Resources for congregations publicizing a variety of programs:
- Short "how to" guides on writing a press release, an op-ed, and a letter to the editor.
- The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Public Relations Manual (PDF 121, pages) providing a comprehensive, detailed overview of how to develop and implement a public relations plan for your congregation.
- UUA media kit with links to background information and news coverage about the UUA and its social justice commitments. Congregational representatives can send these links to journalists as starting points for learning more about Unitarian Universalism and the UUA's advocacy initiatives.
New Minister or Director of Religious Education
Resources for congregations publicizing the arrival of a new minister or director of religious education:
- Step-by-step guide for publicizing the arrival of a new minister or director of religious education.
- Sample press relations materials from the beginning of Rev. Fred Small's ministry at the First Parish in Cambridge, MA, in 2008.
- Sample media coverage of new ministers and directors of religious education in Unitarian Universalist congregations.
Environmentally Friendly Programs
Resources for congregations publicizing environmentally friendly programs:
- Step-by-step guide for publicizing environmentally friendly programs.
- Advice from Unitarian Universalists on reaching out to the media.
- Media kits about the Unitarian Universalist Assoication's (UUA) commitment to ethical eating and environmental justice. These kits, designed to be useful to reporters, include background information and links to recent press coverage.
- Sample press relations materials from Unitarian Universalist congregations engaged in environmental work.
- Sample media coverage of programs in Unitarian Universalist congregations.
- Green Sanctuary fact sheet (PDF), for distribution to media outlets by congregations participating in the Green Sanctuary Program.
Visit from the UUA President
Resources for congregations publicizing a visit from UUA President Rev. Peter Morales:
- Step-by-step guide on how to publicize a public event (such as a worship service) where the UUA President will be speaking.
- Sample press materials developed and used by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Eugene, OR, in September 2009 to publicize Rev. Morales's participation in their Centennial Celebration.
- Sample media alert publicizing Rev. Morales's sermons at All Souls Church, Unitarian, in Washington, DC, on the morning of the October 2009 National Equality March.
- Press coverage of Rev. Morales's congregational visits.
- Rev. Morales's online media kit, including his bio, photographs, and other information that may be helpful to members of the media interested in covering Rev. Morales.
For more information contact pw_specialist @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, March 29, 2011.
- Chalice and UU Art
- Congregational Press Relations
- Civil Discourse
- GA Presentations
- UUA Monthly Bulletin