Sample Newsletter Policy for Unitarian Universalist Congregations
The policy below is an example of a standard newsletter policy used by Unitarian Universalist congregations. It may be used as a basis for your congregation to create your own policy.
Sample Newsletter Policy
The responsibility for the editorial policies and practices of the church newsletter rests with the Board of Directors. The church administrator is responsible for the production of the newsletter and for implementing Board policies.
The primary function of the newsletter is to inform the congregation of church programs and activities. Space and emphasis will be allocated according to the following priorities:
- Information about Sunday services
- Communications from the minister
- Information about religious education programs and classes (all ages)
- Information about all-church functions, e.g. annual canvass, congregational meetings
- Communications from the Board, the staff and church committees
- News of church members/friends; brief announcements of members' special needs
- District and denominational news
- As space permits, community news and announcements of activities of organizations of particular interest to the church or its members
- As space permits, once per month, a small section of classified
- Ads from members/friends will be included (Bulletin Board section)
Please note that all the information in the church newsletter is important, but there is a limit to the items which can be printed on the front page.
Advertisements for ongoing business or professional services will not be published, but the newsletter will accept a one-time announcement of a member's ENTRANCE into a business or profession.
All newsletter items must be turned in to the office, or placed in the letter box on the outside of the church building, by 10:00 a.m. on the Monday of publication. Articles received after 10:00 a.m. will appear in the next issue.
Every newsletter item must have the name and daytime phone number of the person submitting the article and should be typed or neatly printed on a sheet of paper NO SMALLER THAN 8½ x 5½ inches.
Inserts (flyers, prospectuses) can be enclosed in the newsletter on a first come, first served basis. Only one such insert will be enclosed in any one issue. Format must be in harmony with the 14 x 8½ size of the newsletter. Committees are responsible for typing, paste-up, and paying for printing of their inserts. The insert must be approved by the administrator BEFORE it is printed, however. If office assistance and resources are needed to produce a flyer or insert, arrangements must be made at least two weeks in advance of the deadline.
The administrator is the newsletter editor, and is granted the right to edit material that is too long or that contains incorrect grammar or spelling, and to refuse material that is not appropriate; however, every effort will be made to be inclusive.
Any questions or problems concerning the newsletter should be addressed to the administrator.
Approved by the Board of Directors:
Signature of Board President:
For more information contact pw_specialist @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, August 11, 2011.