Guest In Your Pulpit - Melanie Davis
Melanie Davis, PhD, CSE, CSES. Melanie’s worship services take listeners on journeys in words and music. She encourages self- examination and acceptance as well as spiritual growth. She provides opening and closing words, readings, sermons and hymns. A gifted singer, she leads hymns and performs preludes and musical interludes. Melanie is a lifelong UU and is a member of the UU Congregation of Somerset Hills. She is the Unitarian Universalist Association’s Our Whole Lives Program Associate, and she is in the UU Trauma Response Ministry. Melanie delivers professional development training and sexuality education consulting for teens and adults. She holds an MEd and PhD in Human Sexuality Education. Through the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists, she is a Certified Sexuality Educator and Supervisor. She is co-president of the Sexuality and Aging Consortium at Widener University. Learn more at Melanie Davis PhD.
Titles of programs/sermons and a brief statement of content on each:
- Searching for a Catalyst—What do you long for, and how might you move from a state of longing into a new state of being? What inhibits you from addressing your longing? The UU Fourth Principle is a launching point for this exploration.
- Reconnecting with the Spirit of Life—When we reach a point of emotional and/or spiritual exhaustion, we cannot contribute meaningfully to efforts to end racism. Join us to explore ways to renew our spirit and energy for the work ahead.
- Engaging Intimately with Death—Learning of someone’s terminal illness can arouse feelings of fear, discomfort, and anxiety. This service encourages us to move past personal concerns and engage with others from a place of vulnerability, humility, humor, and service.
- Jaguars, Sugar Daddies and Lonely Hearts: Shattering Myths about Sexuality and Aging—Older age can provide life’s most satisfying sexual years, yet stereotypes desexualize older adults and decrease their sexual rights; while LGBT seniors may hide their sexuality for self-protection. This service envisions a better future for all of us.
- Stop Fixing; Start Listening—When crisis strikes, our most important ministry is to help those in distress find inner reserves of strength. This service teaches how to stop fixing and start listening and introduces the UU Trauma Response Ministry.
- Jumping Into Change—Are you listening to what calls you? If you jumped at a chance to change your life, would you? Be inspired by people who dared to listen to the voice inside, urging them to change course, mid-life.
- The Abstract Art of Parenting—The UU Second Principal can be expressed in the parenting of children, oneself, siblings, aging parents, and the Earth, when practiced with compassion, creativity, and commitment.
- A UU Take on Faith & Miracles—Words can trigger emotional responses related to a listener’s spiritual journey. Learn how two hot- button words can be relevant to the lives and beliefs of religious liberals.
- Honoring Your Inherent Worth & Dignity—Us covenant to affirm the inherent worth and dignity of all people but may neglect to affirm their own. Learn a spiritual framework for recognizing one’s own value through affirming self-talk.
- Need a custom worship service or a soloist for a service, ceremony, or other special occasion? Inquiries welcome.
Availability: Within 100 miles of Somerville, NJ.
Contact: Email Melanie Davis at answers [at] melaniedavisphd [dot] com