Guest In Your Pulpit - Mark Bernstein
Mark Bernstein is a member of the UU Church of Delaware County, Media, PA.
Titles of programs/sermons and a brief statement of content on each:
- Nothing to Lose ~ A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. In the same way, we light the flame of passion and commitment in each other through our understanding, encouragement and acts of generosity. What does teamwork look like at UUCDC and how do we continue to exhibit it as our congregation grows?
- Is Chivalry Dead or Where is Sir Walter Raleigh Now That We Need Him? ~ The Medieval Code of Chivalry, which flourished during the 12th and 13th centuries, faded toward the end of the middle ages. Have we Unitarian Universalists picked up the mantle? Do we conduct our lives with honor and integrity according to our principles and “codes’? This sermon will explore these issues and examine if Sir Walter Raleigh would have been happy as a Unitarian Universalist.
- Willing to Be Little ~ Practicing humility in our congregation and in our lives is the way in which we live out our Unitiarian Universalist principles. Do we have the courage to live lives of humility? What would our congregation, and our world, look like if everyone did?
- Patriotism: Vice or Virtue? ~ George Bernard Shaw wrote, “Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.” Is patriotism just a selfish, xenophobic act or does it embody the values of pride, loyalty and sacrifice and so is something to be admired? Why is patriotism defined in so many different ways in our country, particularly in this most interesting political season? And what do Unitarian Universalists have to say about patriotism? Come and celebrate the holiday with us. Fireworks to follow the service. (Just kidding)
- Is Superman a Closet UU? and other compelling questions ~ Does the Man of Steel light a chalice in his Fortress of Solitude? Do the Caped Crusader and Robin the Boy Wonder secretly share joys and concerns deep in the bowels of the Bat Cave? And what about Betty and Veronica? Come explore the connection between our comic book heroes and our UU principles.
- The Hunger to Belong ~ Healthy congregations do more than create a welcoming environment. They create a culture of belonging. To truly belong means to bridge the gulf between isolation and intimacy. How are we helping to create a culture of belonging in our congregation and what more do we need to do to feed the hunger to belong?
- A Rising Tide ~ The word "spirituality" means different things to different UUs. Here's one interpretation of spirituality that represents a call to action consistent with our seven principles.
Availability: Anytime, anywhere. May need home hospitality for Saturday night depending on distance.
Fee arrangements: Standard fee for your congregation.
Contact: Email Mark Bernstein at m [dot] mjbernstein [at] verizon [dot] net