Interviewing with the Ministerial Fellowship Committee
Once an Ministerial Fellowship Committee (MFC) interview has been requested and an interview date has been set you will need to prepare your interview packet:
- Completed the Biographical Form (MFC-2) All forms may be found in the Requirements for Ministerial Fellowship Appendix (Word) (PDF).
- Completed “To All Candidates for Ministerial Fellowship” (MFC-3)
- Recent digital photograph (headshot of candidate alone)
- Regional Sub-Committees on Candidacy (RSCC) letter
- MFC Required Reading List
- Criminal Offense Disclosure/False Representation Statement (This form is not shared unless there has been a conviction.)
- Completed the Criminal Record/Background Check
- Essay on “What is the theological context of your call to Unitarian Universalist (UU) ministry? Refer to at least one theologian, one personal experience and one sacred text.” (maximum length: 4 pages, double-spaced)
- Essay or short reflection paper explaining how your analysis of anti-racism, anti-oppression,and multiculturalism is reflected in your ministry. (maximum length: 4 pages, double-spaced)
- Essay: Describe a personal experience of ministering with children or youth and how this experience informs your philosophy of religious education. (maximum length: 4 pages, double-spaced)
- Letters of Recommendation (MFC-4) (see description below)
- Clinical Pastoral Education evaluation(s) (self and supervisor
- Internship Final (or mid-term) evaluations, which must include: self, supervisor and intern committee versions (If you have not received any evaluations by the time your MFC packet materials are due, because you have only recently begun the internship, a mid-term evaluative letter from your supervisor is strongly advised.)
- All MFC Statements of Competency
- All Official transcripts, both undergraduate and graduate
- Candidate File Review.(prepared in consultation with the Ministerial Credentialing Director)
The five required letters of recommendation must be signed and dated and must include the following:
- faculty member or advisor if the candidate is enrolled in seminary or a recent graduate
- a Unitarian Universalist minister other than the internship supervisor
- anyone of the candidate's choice who has known him or her for at least six years
- anyone of the candidate's choice.
- a religious educator.
As a candidate for the Unitarian Universalist ministry, you are expected to maintain active participation in a UU congregation. The MFC requires at least one letter of recommendation describing the extent of your participation. The MFC expects candidates to be able to demonstrate an understanding of and experience with UU congregational life based on at least two years active involvement.
In order to protect the integrity of the ministry, in rare instances it may be necessary for the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) to permanently discourage certain persons from pursuing ministerial fellowship. Therefore, upon the recommendation of the Ministerial Credentialing Director, the Executive Committee of the Ministerial Fellowship Committee may refuse to grant an interview to an individual they deem highly unsuitable for Unitarian Universalist ministry.
A copy of the procedures regarding complaints against candidates for UU ministry is available from the Ministerial Credentialing Office.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.