Contributions to the Unitarian Universalist Organizations Retirement Plan
Effective January 1, 2013, the maximum total annual contributions may equal 100 percent of the employee's annual taxable earnings to a limit of $51,000.
Because ordained ministers may receive part of their distributions after retirement as a tax-exempt clergy housing allowance, it is generally very advantageous for clergy of all denominations to maximize their retirement savings through denominationally-sponsored plans.
Employer Contributions are Primary
- Unlike in typical 401(k) plans, the primary contributions into the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Plan are made by the employer congregations.
- The employer congregation must contribute the same percentage of salary for each employee.
- The UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines (PDF) recommend an annual retirement plan contribution of 10 percent of cash salary (for clergy: cash salary plus clergy housing allowance).
- Employees whose congregation does not make at least a 10 percent contribution, may not make their own voluntary contribution.
- Employees of congregations that contribute at least 10 percent for each employee, may then also make their own voluntary employee contribution; see Salary Reduction Agreement, below.
- For calendar year 2013, employees may contribute up to $17,500 ($23,000 if age 50 or older).
A Contribution Remittance Form must accompany all contributions sent to TIAA-CREF.
- Employees who wish to make voluntary pre-tax contributions may do so if their employer congregation makes at least a 10 percent contribution for each participating employee.
- The employee(s) completes a Salary Reduction Agreement (PDF), in order to authorize that voluntary contributions be withheld from their wages and forwarded to TIAA-CREF.
- Keep a copy of the signed, dated Salary Reduction Agreement in the employee’s permanent personnel file.
For more information contact ocsf @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, April 16, 2013.
- Job Openings
- Congregational Staff & Volunteers
- Benefit Plans & Compensation
- Billing for Insurance Plans
- Insurance and Employee Changes
- Transitioning Benefits
- UUA Health Plan
- Group Insurance
- Fair Compensation
- Finances/ Taxes
- Ministerial Aid Funds
- Music Leadership
- Religious Educators
- One and One E-News