General Assembly 2017 is almost here! We are so excited that you will be joining us for this incredible experience. Whether you attend every GA Youth Caucus event or come to orientation and then spend the rest of the week exploring the wide range of events, worships and workshops available throughout General Assembly, and whether this is your first or fifteenth General Assembly – we welcome you! You’ll find all of your Youth Caucus User Guide materials right here on Blue Boat in a special section. Each post covers a different topic that you’ll want to take a look at before your arrival in New Orleans. If you’d prefer, you can download a PDF Version of the User Guide. Get the GA Mobile App to see program listings and maps, and to create your personal GA schedule and get connected with other attendees. First, a message from your Youth Caucus Deans: General Assembly Youth Caucus Attendees- We find ourselves in some difficult times, both in the greater political world, and within our own UUA. Though the theme of our upcoming General Assembly is Resist and Rejoice, now, more than ever, it may feel like only resistance is possible, like rejoice is out of reach. It might feel like we’re further than ever from the diverse, multicultural, inclusive Beloved Community we seek. As your deans of the Youth Caucus, we’re feeling all of these things, too. However, youth represent one of the most important voices in our Association. The youth are the voices of change, always of the forefront of justice, equity, and revolution. As your deans, we want your Youth Caucus experience to exist without limits; change is in our hands, and sometimes all that’s needed is a little push and the right people. Our Youth Caucus programming this year will be finely in-tune with the theme of General Assembly. We will Rejoice together in our orientation, our worships, our game nights, and other fun activities, but we will also be putting our noses to the grindstone with important conversations about Resistance. The Youth Caucus team has worked hard to ensure that everyone has a great time, so we want you all to use every moment to your advantage. We want every YC participant to discover something new, whether it is about yourself, your community, or our host city, NOLA. With all that said, we think we speak on behalf of the entire Youth Caucus staff when we say that we’re beyond excited to welcome you to Youth Caucus, General Assembly, and New Orleans. We hope that this year’s Youth Caucus will be extremely impactful for you all, and we look forward to seeing you there. In faith, Eric Broner and Jaidyn Bryant Youth Caucus Deans Second, here’s some essential information about requirements and location. Youth Caucus will meet in room 217-219 of the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans which is on the second level. All Youth Caucus programming occurs in this room. Orientation is required for youth and sponsors. Our Youth and Sponsor Orientation is scheduled for 4:00 pm on Wednesday, June 21st and runs until 5:15 pm in the Youth Caucus room. If you arrive at General Assembly after this orientation, there will be daily make-up orientation opportunities at 8:30 am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Youth and sponsors are required to attend the first orientation that occurs after their arrival. This is the only required Youth Caucus event. Youth are welcome to attend whatever programming they wish throughout the entirety of General Assembly. See the programming section for schedules and highlights (below). Finally, here’s what you’ll find on our pages:
- Meet the GA Youth Caucus Staff: This team of 10 youth and 5 adults have been working hard to bring you awesome programming and to serve you at General Assembly. Get to know them better here.
- Sponsor Welcome and Responsibilities: Written to sponsors, it is valuable information for youth and parents as well, about sponsor responsibilities, youth-sponsor relationships, and some agreements that youth and sponsors will want to come to before arriving at General Assembly.
- Programming Highlights: Learn what the Youth Caucus is offering this year, see some highlights from our suggested GA workshop list, and download a blank schedule to plan your GA.
- Lead at GA: Looking to lead? There are opportunities to get involved in leadership and make an impact on our association through the business of General Assembly.
- Get Connected: Join our social media networks on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as learn about the opportunities to connect in person throughout General Assembly.
- Support at GA: Learn more about what our Chaplain team offers.
- Witness: This year’s witness event is unlike anything we’ve ever done. Learn more about what to expect.
- Check Lists: What to do before arriving and what to pack! Don’t forget these essentials.