Publications, Media, and Resources for the Emerson Bicentennial
Resources for Congregations
- Emerson Bicentennial Committee's letter to UU congregations, April 2003 (PDF)
- Exhibit Book: The Living Legacy of Ralph Waldo Emerson, designed by Bonnie Hurd Smith
- Adult Curriculum: The Living Legacy of Ralph Waldo Emerson by Joan W. Goodwin and Nancy Craig Simmons
- Children's Curriculum: Waldo Free and True: A Kid's Fun Book About Ralph Waldo Emerson by Betsy Hill Williams
- Worship Resources (PDF) by J. Frank Schulman
- Emerson Speaks (PDF) ed. J. Frank Schulman
- An Emerson Garland: the music in Emerson's verse for the congregation: 12 original Emerson poems, Leo Collins, Editor
- Audio, Tutor and Scores
- The Tutor for 'An Emerson Garland' (PDF, 50 pages): Research information, with Emerson's sermon on hymns & new poetry
- Audio, Tutor and Scores
- Complete Works of RWE
- Biography of Ralph Waldo Emerson by Frank Schulman
- Ralph Waldo Emerson Texts
- Sermons of Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Emerson Forum at Faneuil Hall: The Reawakening of the American Soul: On the Bicentenary of Emerson's Birth
- Emerson Bicentennial Events Calendar
- A Dream Too Wild, by Barry Andrews
- Emerson as Spiritual Guide, by Barry Andrews
- The Spiritual Emerson: Essential Writings, by Ralph Waldo Emerson, edited by David M. Robinson
- Emerson: The Mind on Fire, by Robert D. Richardson, Jr.
- Apostle of Culture: Emerson As Preacher and Lecturer, by David M. Robinson
- Emerson and the Conduct of Life: Pragmatism and Ethical Purpose in the Later Work, by David M. Robinson
- Complete Sermons of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Albert J. Von Frank (Editor)
- The Strains of Eloquence: Emerson and His Sermons, by Wesley Mott
- Emersonian Circles: Essays in Honor of Joel Myerson, by Wesley Mott
- Emerson, by Lawrence Buell
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: A Collection of Critical Essays, by Lawrence Buell
- The Critical Reception of Emerson: Unsettling All Things (Studies in English and American Literature, Linguistics, and Culture. literary Criticism in Perspective), by Sarah Ann Wider (out of print, some used copies available)
- Quest, June 2003 (a publication of The Church of the Larger Fellowship)
- "Emerson's Philosophy Still Resonates: An Interview with Richard Geldard," Boston Globe, September 20, 2003.
- "Big Dead White Male," by John Updike, New Yorker, August 4, 2003.
- "America's Founding Seeker," a Beliefnet interview with David Robinson
- "America's Founding Spiritual Seeker," adapted from the introduction to David Robinson's new book from Beacon Press, The Spiritual Emerson.
- "Emerson and the Perennial Philosophy," by Robert D. Richardson
- "It's Emerson's Anniversary and He's got 21st-Century America Nailed," by Adam Cohen, New York Times, May 4, 2003
- "The Great 'Ennobler'," by Richard Higgins, Boston Globe, May 23, 2003
- "Recalling Emerson's Influence at 200," by Richard Ostling, Associated Press, May 24, 2003
- "The Sage of Concord," by Harold Bloom, The Guardian, May 24, 2003
- "Emerson's Long Shadow," by Phil Anderson, Topeka Capitol-Journal, May 24, 2003
- "American Sphinx," by Lawrence Buell, Boston Globe, May 25, 2003
- "Emerson, Second Church, and 'The Real Priesthood'," by Wesley Mott: Emerson Bicentennial Program, First and Second Church, Boston, March 7, 2003
- "Emerson: Religion After Transcendentalism," by David M. Robinson: Emerson Bicentennial Program, First and Second Church in Boston, March 7, 2003
- "Emerson's Mirror," by Richard Higgins (UU World, March/April 2003)
- "Emerson's Shadow," by Forrest Church (UU World, March/April 2003)
- "Emersoniana," by Richard Higgins, Smithsonian Magazine (May 2003)
- "Still Ahead of His Time," by Frederick Turner, Smithsonian Magazine (May 2003)
- "The Infinitude of the Private Man," by Lawrence Buell, Harvard Magazine (May/June 2003)
For more information contact info @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.
- Are My Beliefs Welcome?
- Flaming Chalice
- Worship & Congregational Life
- Ministries in Unitarian Universalism
- Further Reading
- Mobile App: Illuminations
- Ask a Question