WHEREAS, nuclear proliferation increases the danger of nuclear holocaust; and
WHEREAS, SALT results are presently unsatisfactory; and
WHEREAS, United States military security is not jeopardized by the proposed independent initiatives;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: That the 1977 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association urges the United States government to undertake substantial independent initiatives for nuclear disarmament, to challenge the other nuclear powers to match these initiatives with equivalent action and to review their disarmament policies periodically for progress.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the following principal independent initiatives be undertaken:
- Publicly renounce "first use" of nuclear weapons;
- Announce a moratorium on all nuclear tests and a willingness to sign Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty;
- Reduce nuclear strategic and tactical weapons stockpiles;
- Stop production of nuclear weapons and the hazardous materials from which they are made.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: To support the following policies designed to limit nuclear proliferation:
- Restraints by supplier countries;
- Security guidelines to deter theft and sabotage;
- Multinational regional fuel cycle centers;
- Adequate funding, political and psychological support to strengthen International Atomic Energy Agency;
- Binational or international control of peaceful nuclear explosions;
- "Nuclear free zones" to avoid acquisition or development of nuclear weapons.